
Everybody has at least one hobby. Some people tend to have more than one hobby. I would like to share about animals. Some people like cats, dogs, rabbit, hamster, iguana, snake, arowana. All of us knows that en Azman likes arowana, but my passion is in turtles.
I’ve 2 Red Ear Slider as my pets. It’s a very common turtle that you can see in most of aquarium shop in our country. It’s the green one, with some red lines at their head. Most of us will think that turtles like veggies. But believe me, some species/type likes meat (fish/shrimp). My Red Eared Slider is the carnivore type, eat fish and shrimp. Most of the local aquarium “tawkey” just think that all turtles eat that green pallets. Yeah, its true but they don’t eat that much.
There are 6 type of turtles
1. Big Pond
Good swimmers, but also need to spend time completely out of the water.
Species: Sliders, Cooters, Red-Bellies, Yellow-Bellies
2. Basking Log
Good swimmers, but also need to spend time completely out of the water.
Species: Painted Turtles, Map Turtles, Diamondback Terrapins, Chicken Turtles
3. Boggy Creek
In the wild, these turtles seldom leave the vicinity of water. They are mostly found in cold water streams.
Species: Wood Turtles, Western Pond Turtles, Bog Turtles, Blanding’s Turtles, Spotted Turtles
4. Murky Lair
They are carnivores, feeding upon mollusks, snails, aquatic insects, crawdads or any other animal matter they can find.
Species: Snapping Turtles, Mud Turtles, Musk Turtles, Softshell Turtles
5. Tortoises & Boxies
They can frequently be found along the edge of open meadows under shrubs or fallen logs. Moist leaf litter is a natural resting place. They are often seen soaking in shallow water.
Species: Tortoises, North American Box Turtles
6. Exotics
Rare species from all around the world
Species: Sidenecks, Snakenecks, Mata-mata, Malaysian Box Turtles
I’ve one Indonesian Snakeneck and one Cooters in my university days. But MAS plane do not allow me to bring them traveling with me, I’ve to left them at my university pond.
These are the species that I’m looking forward to adopt:
Diamond Back Terrapin
Sawback Map Terrapin
Belize Slider (Painted)






1 comment:
Muqri,
Didn't know that you're a turtle man. I just feel that reptiles, amphibians and fish (I bet the big guy in the Aquarium will beg to differ on this one..) are "real" pets. They are not 'handleable' pets, but more for watching and observing.
For me, pets should be something cute that you'll bite your lips just by looking at them. Something you can hug and cuddle. And something that is affection-friendly.
Post a Comment